MONDAY: Luke 1:26-38
1. Contrast Gabriel’s’ message to Zechariah (Luke 1:13-17) with his message to Mary (1:28-33). 2. How are they different? How are they alike?
3. How did Mary’s response (1:34) differ from Zechariah’s (1:18)? Why was Zechariah struck dumb (1:20) and why wasn’t Mary 1:38)?
4. What do you learn about Jesus from Gabriel’s announcement?
FAITH STEP: Zechariah was feared God but doubted. What fears do you think Mary had? Yet she did not let her fears keep her from believing God’s word to her. What fears keep you from trusting and obeying God? In what area of your life do you need to say, as Mary did, “I am the Lord’s servant, may it be as you have said.”
TUESDAY: MERRY CHRISTMAS
1. Take a few minutes this Christmas day to reflect on the birth of Jesus. (Luke 21-6). As you read about Mary waiting to give birth and there being no room at the inn – how do you think she felt – especially considering the promises God made her in Luke 1:30-35?
2. Have you ever been sick or in crisis in a strange place? How did you feel? How do you think Mary felt? How would you feel placing your newborn baby in a feeding tough? Would you feel like God let you down or that you let God down by putting his son in a manger?
3. What does this incident teach you about Mary’s faith? About God being in control?
WEDNESDAY: Luke 2:8-20
1. Why do you think God made the announcement of Jesus’ birth to shepherds? Why not religious leaders? Political leaders?
2. What was the good news the angels brought the shepherds? What was the sign they were to look for?
3. What did the shepherds do after they saw Jesus (verse 17)
FAITH STEP: What good news about Jesus has God revealed to you in your life? Are you forgiven? Saved? Who would be amazed at what you have learned about Jesus? Look for an opportunity to share with someone this week – what Jesus has done for you.
THURSDAY: Matthew 1:18-25
1. If you were in Joseph’s place how would you have felt after finding out your betrothed was pregnant? What do you think people said about Joseph and to Joseph when he decided to remain with Mary?
2. Why was Jesus to be named “Jesus” (verse 21)? Besides “Jesus” by what other name was the baby to be known? What does it mean?
FAITH STEP: What does Joseph teach you about trusting God? In what area of your life do you need to trust God even though people think your actions are stupid? Write a paragraph or share with someone a time where you have seen “Immanuel” in your life?
FRIDAY: Matthew 2:1-12
1. Why was Herod (1:6) and Jerusalem disturbed about the birth of Jesus? Where did the Wise Men visit Jesus (verse 11)?
2. Look up gold, frankincense and myrrh? Why do you think these gifts were given to Jesus?
FAITH STEP: Who or what event was the “star” that led you to find Jesus. Write a note or make a call to a person that was instrumental in helping you find Jesus and thank them for their part in leading you to the Savior. What gift can you give Jesus this week as an act of worship to Him?
SATURDAY: Take the word CHRISTMAS and make an acrostic. Use this sentence Jesus is… (Find a word that begins with C and go all the way to the end of the word.) This can be a good Life group or family project. Spend some time praising Jesus for what he has done for you.