Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Lesson From my Sister's Blog

My sister has a blog that is often funny and inpisrational. This week she tells a story about and incident between her and her son Jack. It is cute and tells a powerful message hope you enjoy it.

I'm in the midst of Beth Moore's study, Believing God (It's very difficult for me to say Believing God instead of Believin' due to the impact of Steve Perry telling me "Don't stop believin'" all through my pre-teens.). I started attending this particular group around week 5 of the study, so I have been going back and watching the other lessons at night before I go to sleep. David somehow manages to dose off while I am doing this until I startle him with a random "Glory!" because when Beth tells somebody to say "Glory!", I know I am that somebody and I let it fly. "Glory!"

Beth also has us repeat a pledge with her at every session:

I believe God is who He says He is.
I believe God can do what He says He can do.
I believe I am who God says I am.
I believe I can do all things through Christ.
I believe God's word is alive and active in me.

Then at the end you declare "I'm believing God" complete with hand motions for emphasis. My struggles with doubt and distrust seem to multiply with my age as I get further away from that faith of a child, so reciting this pledge has been a great reminder to me to hold onto my belief. Anytime a fearful, distrusting thought pops in my head, Ive been stopping immediately and saying the pledge out loud. The looks on my children's face the first time I did it was priceless.

Now D.J. even jumps in with me. Johnny will applaud and cheer when I finish. Jack, however, is not so sure about this spontaneous pledging. Yesterday while waiting in line to pick D.J. up from school, I decided to just say the pledge out loud. As soon as I said, "Im believing God!" Jack declared, "Hey....mom, no, you don't be leavin' God. You stay with God" and then he started crying. "I don't want you to leave God". So then I had to attempt to explain to an almost four-year-old that BELIEVING is not the same as LEAVING. Now that's a daunting task. Who knew my innocent pledge would spark severe separation anxiety in my son? I guess you could say he's preached his first sermon.


From: http://walnutgrove1.blogspot.com/

No comments: